Monday, August 13, 2012

A New Post--A Question is Answered (But Perhaps Not Asked)

The imaginary readers that I imagine closely following my blog and hanging on my every word (narcissistic medium that in many ways is) I now imagine asking themselves the question, "But what is he listening to lately?"

There was quite a bit of stuff about the Ramones on here for the past year, as I listened to almost nothing else from October to June. That, for some reason, is the way I listen to music; I don't wake up and look at my cds and think "What am I in the mood for today?" as so many people claim they do. That is an impossible question to answer, and when I get to that point I usually just listen to talk radio. Instead, I usually get sucked into one band (or sometimes genre) for an extended period of time. I listened to nothing, voluntarily, besides bluegrass from around 1998 to about 2004 or 2005. At the time, I thought that was about all I'd ever listen to, at least in the deepest throes of it around 2001 or so.

If I was blogging between 2009 and 2011, there would have been a lot of posts about the Grateful Dead. There is a vast supply of live shows available by them, each one different, so one could go a lot longer than two years devoting one's days to Jerry & co., and indeed a lot of people do.

But there is one band that I have long admired and to a certain extent loved, and that has become one of my top few favorite bands this summer, i.e. the Kinks. I liked them as a lad but never got really deep into their catalogue until fairly recently (and there is still work to do in that regard). I realized with surprise a couple of days ago that The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society is probably the cd I've listened to the most times over the past five years or so. And after the recent Ramones period I listened to Cheap Trick for a couple of weeks, and since then it's been all Kinks.

So the curiosity of my imaginary readers has been satisfied.

I haven't had much to say about the Kinks though and that, coupled with completing my dissertation, is why I haven't posted here lately. But there are posts now to come; take heart, imaginary reader!

No comments:

Post a Comment