Friday, March 30, 2012

Brain Drain, Adios Amigos, Halfway to Sanity

Brain Drain is not quite as bad as I remembered. The guitar could be mixed higher. This is a weird album, there's plenty of stuff that is kind of amusing but very little that is really very good. After I listen more I'll perhaps review it. "Can't Get You Outta My Mind" is a great song but I'm still fairly convinced the Pleasant Dreams outtake is better.

Adios Amigos still sounds awful to me, a lot of pop punk that sounds like it's almost good enough to be TV commercials.

Halfway to Sanity is way better than I remembered. I hadn't heard it since the 80s, when I liked it for a while then cooled on it. A song I forgot existed--"A Real Cool Time"--is pretty good. "Weasel Face" is not that bad. "I Wanna Live" is better than I'd remembered. I'm still puzzling over what I think of "Garden of Serenity," it's definitely not that bad, but is it good? I could be convinced either way. The problem, as with so many late songs, is the lyrics--do they say anything to me? Finally, "Bye Bye Baby" is back in my good graces, it's kind of like an early-60s girl song, especially with the drum beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment