Sunday, February 26, 2012

My List

Here's my attempt at a list. I couldn't imagine putting them in order so they're more or less chronological or, within albums, track order (but from memory so maybe not exactly right). The list is kind of arbitrary, especially for the first three albums where I could think of any number of substitutions. This list is geared toward what I feel about it right now, over time of course songs rise and fall for me, with an eye to what is really 'best' not just what I'm not sick of, but also with an eye to favorites not just 'best.' All in all a confusing mess.

I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend
Today Your Love, Tomorrow the World
Glad to See You Go
Swallow My Pride
Teenage Lobotomy
Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
Questioningly
She's the One
Do You Remember Rock and Roll Radio
Danny Says

I stopped there because that's ten, but that means I stopped with "End of the Century" since I was limiting myself to two songs per album and couldn't justify less than that for any of those albums. But as much as I love a lot of later Ramones material I don't think any of it would bump any of those. "The KKK Took My Baby Away," "Howling At The Moon," and maybe "I Won't Let It Happen" or "Death of Me" would probably be the prime contenders. I've always loved Psychotherapy, but does anyone really think it's one of the top ten?






What I'm about to do now is unconscionable, which is why I put it below the break. The list just as easily could have been Havana Affair, I Don't Want to Walk Around With You, Gimme Shock Treatment, Commando, Cretin Hop, Locket Love, Don't Come Close, and I Wanna Be Sedated, and leaving off End of the Century gives me a chance to include I Don't Wanna Walk Around With You and I Remember You. Also, whereas Blitzkrieg Bop isn't number one for me, it is sort of the Ramones' opening salvo/manifesto and the distance between any of these songs is very small. But this list has convinced me that the first three albums are the best in terms of songwriting quality and the first album is in many ways the best of the best, or at least the most consistent. Listen to My Heart is the other one I'd say is good enough for top ten on there. Rockaway Beach could easily be on the list. Maybe I should just make a list of the very best Ramones songs and not try to limit it in number, but I'm too tired now and I've probably already mentioned most of them.

EDIT: Surely I Want You Around would have to mentioned in a post as undisciplined as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment