Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Greasy Kid Stuff

Now that I have a two year old daughter, I am exposed to a lot of children's books. The kind of thing she can dig at that age is a bit limited, as one might imagine; she gets bored with too much text, and although her English is pretty good, she's not exactly William F. Buckley yet. There are things that are better than others, and things I particularly enjoy (Dr. Seuss is still great), but a lot of my enjoyment comes from how much she enjoys something, rather than any real artistic merit, or however we want to put that.

It was astonishing, however, to come across this thing called In The Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak. It's really a great little book. As a kid I read Where The Wild Things Are, like nearly everybody my age or younger, but he takes it to a whole other level, as they say, with this thing. It's a dream tale that's surreal, creepy and full of mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment